A Non-profit organization established in 1978, HelpAge India has been providing relief to the disadvantaged elderly in India. Through several focused interventions HelpAge India directly impacts the lives of over a million elderly in India, who today, face deprivations under three broad heads namely, economic, health and emotional.
HelpAge India amongst the biggest and oldest NGO’s in India, is known for its transparency and delivery, with the best CRISIL grading given to HelpAge India of VO 1A – the highest grading for the NGO/ Voluntary sector on a scale of 1A to 5C as
- A reflection of our excellence in work and commitment
- Speaks highly of our delivery capabilities, credibility, and financial discipline
Serving over a million elders of India’s 100 million elderly every donation received counts in reaching out to the needy. HelpAge India mobilizes resources to run a gamut of programs from street-side to bed-side to help elderly in 23 states and over 90 districts across India.
Some of our major programs and interventions are:
Free essential access to healthcare with over 1.32 million treatments to senior citizens by 87 Mobile Medicare Units covering almost 1065 sites across 20 states of India — recognized as Asia’s largest Mobile Medical program for the elderly.
Restorationon of vision through funding over 30,000 free Cataract Surgeries for needy elders each year — enabling them to work and earn a living once again and freeing them from financial dependency.
Support a Gran program helping over 30,000 destitute elderly sustain themselves with food rations and daily essentials, as well as basic health care
Old Age Homes/ Day Care centers—support to over 60 homes across India to provide a roof over the heads of homeless, needy, destitute, sick and abandoned elders or elders uprooted by disasters and emergencies, assisting the elderly live with dignity.
Elder Help Line in 20 state capitals—Fighting elder abuse and neglect through our National Help Line is just a call away.
Livelihood and Income Generation Programs empowering and enabling needy elders set up Self Help Groups to avail micro-credit and start enterprises to earn a livelihood and regain financial independence—3445 Elder Self-Help Groups covering more than 45,000 elderly men and women across India empowering and enabling needy elders set up Self Help Groups to avail micro-credit and start enterprises to earn a livelihood and regain financial independence – 3445 Elder Self-Help Groups covering more than 45,000 elderly men and women across India.
Disaster Relief and Rehabilitation interventions in every major disaster from floods in Assam, Bihar, Odisha, UP, tsunami in Tamil Nadu, to earthquakes in Gujarat and J&K and the recent Uttarakhand floods—as the elderly are unable to push for relief packages etc
Several other healthcare initiatives supported are:
- Physiotherapy/ age care 70 centers across India to addressss issues of arthritis and other related diseases, supporting over 16,000 elders annually
- Cancer and Palliative care to help over 10,000 end stage patients each year
- HIV/AIDS care, provision of Disability Aids, Alzheimer treatment etc
- Advocacy & Social Protection for elder rights and entitlements at the National and Societal levels
- Sensitization of Students through the School Program to inculcate a caring and compassionate culture towards elderly
- Empowerment of Senior Citizens Associations and Elder Self Help Groups
Our website at www.helpageindia.org details more about our work and various interventions for the cause and care of India’s disadvantaged elders